Using Mirrors Tips
Using Mirrors Tips – Mirrors provide a special touch in home decor by adding light and creating the illusion of space. A mirror is defined as a reflecting surface that forms an image of an object when light rays coming from that object fall on the surface.
Here are ten tips for using mirrors in your home decor:
1. Place a mirror on an adjacent wall to an interesting picture or piece of artwork and the mirror will reflect the image and add a sense of space.
2. Hang a decorative mirror near a window in a dark room. This will allow the light to reflect off the mirror creating more natural light in the room.
3. To create the illusion of depth in a room, paint one wall in a dark, contrasting color to the other walls. Then hang a decorative mirror on the dark wall to create a sense of depth in the room.
4. Create a charming entryway by hanging up a framed mirror topped with a floral swag. This will help to create light in the entryway as well as providing a last minute check before heading out the door.
5. Expand a small dining room by placing an ornate mirror on a wall. This will make the room appear larger and brighter.
6. Place a decorative mirror opposite an attractive fireplace and mantel to reflect something interesting in the room.
7. Group and hang several mirrors of assorted sizes and shapes for an attractive wall display.
8. Add mirrors (such as mirror tiles) to the backs of bookcases to add a sense of depth.
9. In the kitchen, add mirror to the countertop’s backsplash. This will reflect light while preparing food and it is easy to maintain.
10. Place a custom sized mirror on the top of a piece of furniture that is damaged or not very attractive. This can be done on dressers, tabletops, coffee tables, and end tables just to name a few.
Always be sure to analyze the placement of mirrors before hanging them up. For example, placing a mirror above a fireplace mantel may reflect the unattractive tops of furniture or blank wall space. You can angle the mirror down so that it reflects something more attractive in the room.
In addition, place mirrors so they will not cause unnecessary glare in a room. Mirrors can be unappealing if they are placed across from a window with a southern or western exposure.