Planning Your Patio Location This Spring – There is nothing more enjoyable than sitting in the sun on an early spring day with a cup of coffee. When the snow has not yet departed and the spring flowers are showing signs of coming to life, there is no other place to get rid of the winter blues.
Are you ready to transform your outdoor space into an enjoyable oasis and get rid of those winter blues? Spring is the best time to plan for your outdoor patio; you will need a cup of coffee or tea, a little imagination, a bit of motivation to get you outside and of course some time to reflect on your plan and design!
Finding that ideal location for your patio really does start with taking some planning time in the spring. Here are a few tips to consider when planning your patio location this spring:
– As the snow melts away around your house start taking notes on where the sun has melted the snow and where it stays for a few hours.
– Over the course of a few days, and at various times of day, take some photos to see where the sun tracks across your yard.
– Take a chair and sit there with a hot cup of tea or coffee to make sure it’s a place for installing a patio.
– Will you have shelter from the wind and what area is going to have the best view?
– Remember if the sun is on that location in the morning there will be shade there in the afternoon.
– The ideal location would be a southeast corner of the house, however that is not always possible.
– You may want to plan your patio with full southern exposure, and then add some shade trees or design a trellis to screen the western sun.
– Take into consideration what area of your yard is most unused and most private from the neighbors (if you want privacy while sitting on your patio).
Now that you have decided on your ideal patio location, you will need to think about the size and design. When planning the shape and size, you should take into account the amount of space your table and chairs will take up.