Kitchen Shelving – Shelving has many advantages compared to traditional storage furniture, like wooden closets and cabinets. They are cheaper, lighter, easier to transport, and much more flexible. All these qualities make them a popular choice to keep our things classified and in order, easy to access when needed, yet out of the way the rest of the time.
In a house, the kitchen is one of the rooms that can easily get encumbered. With all the ingredients, fruits, vegetables, dishes, glasses, forks, etc., that we need on a daily basis, a family can easily turn a nice kitchen into a mess really fast.
Don’t forget that in addition to all the utensils, we have also several machines that occupy space, like a microwave oven, an electric can opener, a dish washer, a toaster, etc. Kitchen shelving is a great solution for bringing order to an otherwise chaotic kitchen. It has all the advantages that regular shelving has, with a few twists that make it better suited for your kitchen.
Antique kitchen shelving idea
Some people don’t like kitchen shelving because they think that it will give their kitchens a ‘factory’ image, or that it will look out of place and break the look of their kitchens. This would be true if they bought shelving that is meant to be used in factories. Shelving in factories is not meant to look pretty; it’s meant to resist heavy duty usage and store big quantities of sometimes dangerous products.
Country-style shelves for vintage kitchen
On the other hand, kitchen shelving comes in a wide selection of models and colors. Manufacturers realize that kitchens are one of the most customized and personal parts of a house, therefore they try to give as many kitchen shelving options as possible in order to satisfy as most needs and tastes as possible.
Elegant glass kitchen shelving
The differences between different kinds of kitchen shelving are so varied that the task of selecting one can be overwhelming. Of course, if you like interior design or something similar, you’ll have a field day going through catalogs and comparing sizes, materials, colors, and styles.
Accordingly, if you are now decided to bring home a unit for your kitchen, here are things you can always consider:
1. Functions. Basically, functionality is the very first thing you have to consider in deciding to buy a shelving unit you will be using in your own kitchen. Try to find something that will give you your most demanded function. This can be analyzed by identifying the foods or utensils you wish to arrange on the racks as well as the number of supplies you are planning to organize.
2. Price. Though it is a common fact that expensive products are quality ones, it does not mean that cheaper products are low quality ones. However, in terms of the shelving unit, it is usually the wooden shelving racks that appear to be cheaper. Since wood shelves can easily crack or rot, it is more practical to go for metal ones even if the cost is a little higher.
Wall-mounted plate rack, McCarron & Co
3. Features. There are a lot of interesting features that you can choose from when buying shelving units. However, always be reminded that what is pleasing to your eyes is not always the right choice. You must also give consideration to the function you are looking for in a unit.
4. Designs. You can choose from various colors and designs of racks for your kitchen. It is best to get the one that will more likely match the interior design of your kitchen or something that will suit your personality.
Reclaimed timber shelves, Wessex Reclamation
5. Spaces. This is also another important consideration when buying shelving units. You must analyze how much space you have in your kitchen. With this, you can choose the one that will fit the space your kitchen can offer. Much more, identify how much shelving space you need for the supplies. If you have a lot of products but have limited floor space, you can choose the higher racks in the market.
Contemporary stainless steel shelf