How To Use Mirrors In Interior Design? – Want a way to catch and reflect light in your home? Nothing does it better than a mirror. Mirrors are great for creating an illusion of space. Mirrors have been used to make commercial buildings look more spacious, and these same techniques can be used successfully in your own home.
Try the following ‘use of mirrors in interior design’ tips:
– If you have a wall in front of the entrance as you enter your home, then hang a unique mirror on that wall to open it up and add interest to the area.
– Try staggering mirrors on either side of a narrow hallway or stairway to give the illusion of width.
– To make a hallway or stairway appear longer, try positioning a mirror at the end which will double its length.
– Wrought iron mirrors are popular and can be used as a home decor accent with most decorating styles.
– Collections of unusual mirrors can be used behind a sofa or in a hallway. They can be arranged in groupings or combined with paintings.
– You can use several hinged mirrors placed together behind candles or flowers on a mantle or table, thus ‘multiplying’ the effect of your decorative accents.
– As with your artwork, choosing the right frame for your mirror makes a world of difference. The frame adds to the look of the mirror and enhances the space around it.
– The use of long, tall mirrors spaced across a wall is a nice change from the more traditional wall-to-wall mirrors.
– Make sure mirrors reflect only attractive objects. Do not place a mirror directly across from a waste basket or cluttered area. Try placing it across from a window, a lamp, or a favorite painting.
– Miniature mirrors can be used as a decorative touch on throw pillows, curtains and place mats.
– Put a mirror on the ceiling of kitchen cabinets or the pantry which will help you see what’s on the top shelf.
– Mirrors can also be used in the dining room to showcase your table decor. Use a mirror instead of a placement at each place setting. They will naturally draw attention to your table and by using bright and decorative dishes you will create a stunning display.
– Since mirrors come in all shapes and sizes, they offer limitless decorating possibilities.
– Make a mirror the focal point in a room. Consider investing in a really unique, classy mirror and frame that complements the rest of the decor in the room.
– Remember to hang mirrors at a usable height.