Cleaning a bathroom is one of the most dreaded household cleaning tasks. Scrubbing bathtubs, toilets and tiles is not exactly a fun-filled and exciting pastime, but it has to be done nonetheless. Bathroom cleaning tasks should not be that much work if they are done right. Follow these steps to clean a bathroom:
1. Start by collecting all the necessary supplies, such as cleansers (including floor cleaners, toilet cleaner and glass cleaner), gloves, toilet brush, disinfectant wipes, washcloths, scrubbers, broom and mop.
2. Take everything that has not been affixed out of the bathroom. This means leaving out the bathtub, toilet, wash basin, and other assorted handles and fixtures, remove everything else, including rugs, towels, shower curtains, toothbrushes, toiletries, cosmetics, medicines, etc.
3. Throw all the dirty and used towels, rugs and curtains in the washing machine and set out clean items which can be put in their designated place after the cleaning process is over.
4. Start with the bathtub or shower area. Choose from any of the bathtub cleaning products available on the market and use them as per the directions. Use a heavy duty spray cleanser and let it sit for a while if the bathtub is too dirty. Remember to remove hair lodged in the drain and consider using a drain cleaner if it is choked up. Use a stiff-bristle brush or scrubber to clean. Rinse the area and wipe dry.
5. Clean the tiles affixed on the wall near the bathtub or shower with a good quality tile cleaner. Wipe the tiles dry.
6. Clean the counter tops and mirrors with a glass cleaner and wipe with a rag. Use disinfectant wipes to wipe the surface of counter tops and sinks. Don’t forget the faucets; remember to make them sparkle by scrubbing them with a rag.
7. Clean the toilet next. Take good quality toilet cleaner, preferably with bleach, and pour as per instructions into the basin of the toilet, then let sit for a few minutes. Meanwhile, spray antibacterial cleaner in the tank and wipe clean. Next, clean the lid, the seat, under the seat and on the edges of the toilet. Take a toilet brush and scrub in and around the basin where you have poured the toilet cleaner to clean it. Flush.
8. Wipe the walls and cabinets with disinfectant wipes or a clean cloth soaked in disinfectant household cleaner. Wipe the area dry to avoid water marks.
9. Sweep the floor with a broom and pick up trash lying on the floor such as tissues, dental floss or hair balls.
10. Mop the area with disinfectant floor cleaner.
11. Replace the rugs, towels and shower curtain. Ensure that they are clean.
12. Use disinfectant spray around your bathroom to kill the last of the remaining germs.